Pages

Monday 4 August 2008

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS

I'd like to share a news story which inspired me recently.


Christian Nisbet is your typical nine year old boy; loves the outdoors and trying new things.

Three years ago he took up motocross. "I had loads of fun and loved racing, it's a great sport," says Christian.

He attempted a 20m jump on his motor bike, the shock of the landing broke his back in three places and he is paralysed from the neck down.

Christian may spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. I was brought to tears hearing him speak. He is handling the situation with the courage, humour and wisdom of someone far beyond his years. He is so full of hope and determination.

Hearing his story made my worries seem insignificant. I sat back and counted my blessings. I'll let Christian have the last word...

"I'm glad I did it, yeah," says Christian. "Always wanted to do that jump, did third time.

"I crashed, but that happens."

12 comments:

  1. you always seem ta tug at the heart strings and find inspiration out of nowhere,,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really amzing how much strenght this person has. I was just worrying a lot about my son but this put things in perspective again

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There but for the grace of God go I".

    Nearly killed myself twice; have broken various bones several times; ripped chunks out of my skin often. All on motorbikes. Have never regretted it.

    But ne'er a day goes by when I don't thank the Almighty for my good health thus far.

    LICS.

    Bike racers are special people - this kid proves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Snake - surrounding myself with people who inspire me helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marja - Yeah, he's an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah LYCS!

    I was gonna tell ya to take care on your bike M but I know that kinda defeats the purpose in your case. Have ya got it on the road yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a kid!

    If only more people could re-adjust their perpective to see what they achieved rather than what they didn't

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always maintained...if there's no risk what's the point. It's only after bringing oneself to the edge that one truly lives.

    Sortof...race right up to the precipice, punch it in the head - and back off before it notices.

    Unfortunately the edge turns round and punches back on occasion. Then it hurts (It can pack a mighty punch, see).

    But...y'know...see first sentence. Otherwise why don't we all take up flower arranging and lawn bowls. Nice and safe - an oh sooooo borrrrrring.

    Motorbikes, motorbikes, motorbikes!! Yaaaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can't stop our children from growing up and doing silly things, even when it comes to doing wild the crazy things boys enjoy doing and that is being daredevils.


    :)

    Hiya kiddo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder how I would have reacted in his situation? A wonderful attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comments. I was trying to answer individually but I am having a terrible time with blogger at mo.....arrrgggg!!!!!

    ReplyDelete