Pages

Monday 8 December 2008

DIABETES ON THE RISE

My local rag informs me that diabetes is on the rise in cats and dogs.

"At the moment we have four cats and 10 dogs diagnosed with diabetes and on insulin," says a local vet.

Symptoms include increased thirst, frequent urination and eating more but appearing to lose weight.

Cats and dogs need insulin in most of these cases and an appropriate diet. The weight loss diet for cats has been dubbed the 'catkins' diet.

Yikes, sickening if you ask me. What are their owners feeding them?

I discussed this with a friend of mine who informed me her dog eats the same food she has for dinner. Erm, hello, he's a dog not a human.

I learned my lesson about giving Coco 'human' food. I fed her left over baked beans one night. The gas was nauseating. I felt like I was sitting on the edge of the bog of eternal stench. Even Coco looked embarrassed.


Oh dear

8 comments:

  1. The bog of eternal stench?

    There's a pub in NZ call the BOG,.
    Wonder if that is what ya on about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a reference to the movie - Labyrinth, Mr Snake.

    Missy - You crack me up girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminds me of visiting the in-laws a couple of years back.
    M-I-L had made a beef wellington and offered me a slice. Said slice was tiny and she explained that she would've given me more but the bulk of the remaining dish was for Scruff the dog.

    So....is that a reflection on her view of me or the dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, obesity's taking over the world.
    It now costs more than tobacco-related disease.
    When are the fatties going to be segregated?
    Kids! Don't go near the fatties. Look away, look away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. M - I can understand to a point if people choose to make themselves fat but their kids and their pets? Pets and small children are relying on their owners/parents to feed them a balanced diet. It's not on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I don't understand how anyone would choose to be obese. It's just pure laziness - simple as that.
    But to encourage or at least do nothing to DIScourage this on ones offspring and/or pets is...well, fucking criminal if you ask me.

    I think it's time someone in authority got serious about this with some form of legislation, frankly.
    You know, this country has had to spend millions (over and above the billions in healthcare) on larger ambulances and helicopters to lift these tubs of lard.
    Far as I'm concerned, just like the anti-smoking Nazis who suggest smokers shouldn't get healthcare, if you become ill because you're the size of a fucking small car, then tough shit!

    ReplyDelete