Pages

Sunday 21 June 2009

THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS?

My Dad is a huge football fan. I remember when I was a wee lass he would spend hours watching and playing football. He didn't have much time for watching other sports but would make an exception when the All Blacks (NZ's international rugby team) were playing. Back in those days the All Blacks were a force to be reckoned with and would leave the opposition quaking in their boots. How things change.



I moved to NZ with my family when I was 15. Coming from England, which has a huge football following to NZ, which has a passion for rugby, was quite a change for me. I remember I would often ask my boyfriend if he would like to go out on the weekend and he would stare at me like I was mad and reply, "But the ruggers is on." Or I would phone him and he would say, "I'll have to call you back, the rugby is on." As you can imagine, rugby wasn't very popular with me.

Some considerable time later, hubby, G and a friend went to watch Auckland play a rugby match. I kept the telly on just in case I saw them in the crowd. Before the game started, there was an interview with one of the players - Carlos Spencer. So began my obsession with Carlos, or should I say, rugby, hehe. I began watching all the Auckland games and was surprised to realise how much I enjoyed the actual match (not just the perving), once I learned more about the rules.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've been to several matches over the years and cheer on the Auckland teams and the All Blacks religiously. I have met (stalked - see pics above) many of the players. I've been known to get out of bed after four hours sleep and watch a rugby test before heading off to work. When NZ were knocked out of the last World Cup, I actually wept (sad but true).

I've been noticing a change over the past few years. It seems that since the game has turned professional (which means the top players are paid), our once formidable All Blacks have become an average team. New Zealand produces outstanding talent (in my opinion) only to head off overseas where the big bucks are. You can't blame them as they have to earn a living and New Zealand cannot possibly compete financially with the likes of many other countries.

Gone are the days when I could name the team, the position they were playing in and the province they represented. I watched a game on Saturday night and didn't recognise half the players and couldn't understand why some players were put in positions they weren't suited to.

I remember many years ago, Buck Shelford (former All Black legend), being asked what he thought of rugby turning professional. He replied that it would be the end of NZ rugby as we knew it. At the time I just thought it was sour grapes because he'd never been paid to play but now I agree with him.

I must say, I really enjoyed Saturday's game and I will continue to cheer on my boys with the usual gusto. I'll also be keeping an eye on our Women's rugby team. If memory serves, they've only lost one game in the last decade. Better watch your backs boys.

P.S. Dear Missy, well you did ask how the boys were doing. LOL!

11 comments:

  1. 'Twas a good win.
    I've only just calmed down after the Lions were soundly beaten by a rotten Kiwi so-called referee! Ohhh, pass the aspirin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to know that you are interested in sports too. I have never been attracted towards this this dont know why...but m simply mad for cricket.

    Was it that you fell in love with this game because of your then boyfriend...did u ever try playing it , n who won??

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first "thought", KB, was, "hasn't KB learned not to end a sentence in a preposition?"
    As far as the exodus of players from the south to the north...? Well, in short money talks, as alluded to in your post.
    It's somewhat of a microcosm of life in general. The excellent in any field go where they're paid the most. It's far from perfect but, well, what can be done?
    Just trust that in your country you can find new blood. Carlos was young once, as was Dan Carter, Richie McCaw and the unfortunate Jonah Lomu (remember him?)
    Whatever happens, I'll still watch the game. And I'm looking forward to the Tri-Nations.
    The Boks have shown great form recently (current World and Super 14 champions) and Deans is building the Wallabies into quite a tight outfit. As for the Blacks...well, they're the Blacks and whilst they're going through a transitional period I have no doubt they'll reach the heights at which they're used to operating.
    Worry not, KB. It'll all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and daughter follow Packer football ( American football) but I couldn't care less.
    They will be happy to know they are not alone in backing a sports team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, nearly let this one past the keeper:

    Women's rugby - ahahahahahah, oh man, hahahaha, stop it, you're killin' me, hahahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rugby isn't too widespread in America, but it looks like a fast paced, tough hitting game...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dickie - Who was the ref?

    Nazish - I get bored easily with cricket :(
    I've never played rugby. NZ won the game but not the trophy :(

    M - Yay, it's Mr Grumpy Grammar Pants. I'm sure I already fixed the error you are talking about here.

    I know they will find new blood but the next season, they will be overseas.

    Of course I remember Jonah. Didn't you notice the pic of him in my post?

    I'll try to have a little more faith in my boys. You of all people know how much I love them.

    LMAO re women's rugby comment. I presume they are women, it's hard to tell really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr John - I laugh when I see American Footballers with all that padding on. That's not a real contact sport.


    Missy - The Haka is still going strong and one of my favourite parts of the experience.

    G-Man - You are learning new Kiwi words all the time.

    Buff - it sure is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://dickiebo.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/british-irish-lions/

    ReplyDelete