Pages

Sunday 3 January 2010

FOR GRANDAD - Part 2

My Grandad was asked to contribute to a book which was being written by soldiers about their wartime experiences. Unfortunately, my Grandad passed away before his story could be published. I would like to share some of the first draft he wrote with you here. The writing is in long hand and is difficult to read at times but I will do my best Grandad. The previous entry was posted a fews days ago.


On the morning of the 7th June, what was left of my platoon were told to advance through the woods and to take up fresh positions. We were coming under heavier fire now from the 21st P division who were now bringing up tanks and mortars. Just about noon, as far as I can remember, Captain Mason, told us that we were in position and we began to dig in again, enemy fire was now becoming very heavy and we were very apprehensive of our position.

Captain Mason said to me, "Here we are and here we are going to stay." We then heard the ominous sound of a tank approaching. We had only grenades ... ... light .... would be of no use. I looked over to Captain Mason but he seemed unconcerned. The tank stopped some 100 yards away and pumped shells all around us and quite a number were killed and wounded.

PART 3 tomorrow (or as soon as my fingers can type it).

4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you're doing this not only because there can never be too many eye witness accounts to warn us of the reality of war but because the part your grandad (and his peers) played should never be forgotten. He would certainly be proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, two of my favourite people. Nice to see you both and thank you for the positive comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you are doing this hun. We all need ta be reminded that war isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    As I read this the series Black Adder comes into my head. Although it is a comedy there is a lot of sarcasm in it and a hell of a lot of truth.
    Just keep doing it babe....... I know how much ya love him .......
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must watch that series again babe xxxx

    ReplyDelete